Go hands-free with Libec’s HFMP monopod
Japanese tripod firm Libec have finally released details of the hands-free monopod kit they unveiled in prototype form recently. The £318 HFMP – Hands-Free Monopod Kit – can stand in its own thanks to large fold-out feet and comes complete with a fluid video head. We’ve been testing one for several weeks for the next issue of Pro Moviemaker magazine. Until then, the official press release reads:
The HFMP / HFMP KIT is a professional video monopod that is specially designed for free-stand operations, making it stand out from other monopods in the market. The Free-stand Base located at the bottom of the monopod allows users to instantly switch the monopod’s function from a shooting mode to a locked vertical position with a single step. This cleverly designed monopod is ideal for those videographers who truly value operability and mobility.
“During our R&D stage, it was a great pleasure to organize several focus groups and meet with many professional monopod users to hear their experience with monopods” says Reiya Yamaguchi, Company Director at HQ . ”They shared their thoughts on what they liked & disliked about their monopods, and what the ideal Hands-free monopod should be. After much consideration we knew what we needed to do to make the best valued monopod system in the industry. We’re excited to extend our 60 yr. legacy of best-in-class camera support equipment by introducing HFMP to professionals and amateurs alike around the world”- Reiya Y.
Our new style monopod HFMP allows aspiring DSLR filmmakers, freelancers, and small production teams, pro level production value via HFMP’s Free-stand base, step lock/release foot pedal, smooth panoramic rotations, speedy adjustments, and much more. Highlighted features and benefits are found below the following specifications.
HFMP Hands-Free Monopod:
- Video monopod designed for free-stand operations
- Free-stand Base with innovative Step Lock/Release Foot Pedal
- Instantly switch from shooting mode to a locked vertical position
- Convenient click indicates when HFMP is released or locked into position
- Built-in lubricated ball joint system for smooth panoramic shots
- Numeric height indicators and flip locks for preferred adjustments
- User-friendly folding legs for swift setups and compact travel
- Robust aluminum material, yet lightweight for easy carry
- Dual size designed carrying bag for run&gun and easy storage
Dual Base Video Head:
- Flat base design for monopods, sliders, skater dollies, and gear with 3/8” screws
- 65mm ball design for 65mm bowl tripods
- Supports up to 9lbs (4.0 kg)
- Built-in counterbalance for precise camera balance and tilt movements
- Dual pan handle rosettes for additional pan handle or support arm
- Equipped with a bubble level for easy head leveling
- Amazingly lightweight at 1kg/2.2lb including the pan handle.
- Industry standard sliding plate compatible with Sachtler & Manfrotto heads
- Snap on/off sliding plate for easy camera balance adjustments
- Plate slides +/-30mm / 1.2” front to rear and includes a 1/4″ screw
Free-stand Base with large rubber feet:
- The Free-stand Base located at the bottom of the monopod allows you to instantly switch the monopod’s function from a shooting mode to a locked vertical position with a single step.
Step Lock/Release Foot Pedal:
- A unique foot pedal with a smart lock/release feature allows the monopod to switch its function from a shooting mode to a secure vertical locked position with a single step. A helpful “Click” sound is present when switching between modes, conveniently indicating when the monopod is released or locked into the vertical position.
Smooth Panoramic Rotation:
- A special built-in lubricated ball joint system, designed to prevent dust and debris from entering, offers smooth quality pan and tilt movements, allowing you to achieve smooth professional shots.
Quick adjustments for your Preferred Height:
- A sleek design with numeric indicators for your preferred height settings, allows you to make quick height adjustments for consistent angled and measured shots. The HFMP with video head has a maximum height of 189.5cm/74.6″ and a minimum height of 87.5cm/34.4”
Speedy Open / Close functions:
- Designed for swift setups and compact travel, these user-friendly folding legs can be easily opened and closed with a push of a button, especially useful for run&gun situations.
Dual size designed carrying bag Included:
- Dual size travel bag to carry or store the monopod with or without the head, offering speedy travel and easy storage.
Pan Tilt Head with Dual Head Design (Included with HFMP KIT):
- Unlike other photo/video heads included with monopod kits, this video head has tilt and pan functions, and has a dual head structure (flat base/65mm bowl), making this multi-functional head compatible with 65mm bowl/flat base tripods, monopods, sliders, skater dollies, and other equipment with 3/8 inch screws.
- The video head supports payloads of up to 9lbs/4kg and features a built-in counterbalance for better camera balance. The head has two pan handle rosettes on each side, allowing you to place an additional pan handle for increased control, or attaching an AS-7K articulating support arm to mount other video equipment such as a monitor, resulting in higher-quality shots.
- The head is equipped with a bubble level and has a tilt angle of +90° / -80°, and is amazingly lightweight at 1kg/2.2lb including the pan handle.
Industry standard Snap On/Off sliding plate (Included with HFMP KIT):
- This one touch on/off sliding plate is compatible with Manfrotto and Sachtler heads, enabling quick onsite camera swaps without the need to change or remove sliding plates. Easily adjust your equipment’s center of gravity to achieve a perfect counterbalance. The plate slides +/-30mm / 1.2” front to rear and includes a 1/4″ screw with video pin for swift camera plate adjustments.
NOTE: Although the HFMP KIT is designed to stand on its own base, we strongly recommend that you do not leave the monopod unattended at any time.
For more information click here
You can see a video of the HFMP in action below.