Samyang announces new telephoto lens addition
Posted on Apr 20, 2020 by Pro Moviemaker
The telephoto AF 75mm F1.8 FE is an ideal to be used as a portrait or event lens
Today global optics brand Samyang Optics announced the launch of its telephoto AF 75mm F1.8 FE. Weighing in at 230g, Samyang claim it to be the lightest autofocus 75mm lens currently on the market.
The lens uses a new Linear Stepping Motor (STM), which allows for fast and accurate autofocusing. The lens also has a newly developed custom-mode switch, which allows you to control the function of the focus ring to your own preference.
According to the Camera & Imaging Products Association’s report of December 2019, the value of mirrorless camera sales increased in 2019, which means that the interest in more advanced mirrorless cameras is on the rise.
In response to this research, Samyang introduced their “Tiny but Almighty” AF series in June 2017 with the AF 35mm F2.8 FE. The series has been expanded with the 18mm F2.8, 24mm F2.8, and 45mm F1.8 models – all being autofocus lenses for full-frame Sony E mount cameras. The latest AF 75mm F1.8 FE joins this blockbuster series, adding a telephoto focal length which is ideal for portraits.
The interest in more advanced mirrorless cameras is on the rise
- Size: It is difficult to find telephoto lenses that have been designed specifically to match the compact nature of full-frame mirrorless cameras. Samyang’s new AF 75mm aims to solve this problem, with its compact size.
- Portraits: Samyang’s 75mm focal length was designed for portraits in the past, but they claim that this new addition makes them the first brand to bring it back for full-frame mirrorless cameras.
- Optics: With a total of 10 elements in 9 groups, Samyang use 5 special elements
(3 Extra Low Dispersion and 2 High Refractive) to create sharp results, with low chromatic aberration and minimal distortion.
- Custom switch: The focus adjustment ring normally has no function when using the lens in AF mode. To increase usability of this ring, Samyang has introduced a ‘Custom Switch’, which allows the user to adjust the iris (aperture) by using the focus ring. The custom switch, allows operation as a traditional camera lens and can be further customised via firmware updates, using Samyang’s optional USB Lens Station.
- Aperture range: 8 – 22
- Lens optical: Construction – 10 elements in 9 groups / Special lens 3 extra low dispersion, 2 high refractive
- Coating: UMC (Ultra Mini Coating)
- Minimum focusing distance:69m (2.26ft)
- Magnification ratio: X 0.13
- Diaphragm blades: 9
- Filter size (mm): 58
- Maximum diameter (mm):0
- Mount: Sony FE
- Angle of view: Full frame – 32.9 / APS-C – 21.9˚
- Length (mm):0
- Weight (g) (Without lens cap, hood): 230
- AF Motor: Linear STM
For more information on Samyang’s latest releases, please click here.